Holmes Murphy Distributes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Scholarships to Fraternity and Sorority Students
Ten undergraduate fraternity and sorority members receive scholarships
Holmes Murphy Fraternal Practice is excited to announce it has distributed $1,000 scholarships to 10 undergraduate fraternity and sorority members as part of its commitment to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) initiatives within the organization and industry.
The 2023 scholarship recipients are:
- Olakunle Akande, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. of Hampton University
- Aspen Amador, Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc. of the University of New Mexico
- Michael Bland, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. of the University of Georgia
- Kendall Divers, Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity, Inc. of James Madison University
- Armani Jones Elliott, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Aisha June, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. of Howard University
- Mia McGraw, Phi Mu Fraternity of the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Justin Nguyen, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity of University of California, Davis
- Esau Rodriguez Olvera, Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc. of Texas Christian University
- Lianne Rodriguez, Tau Beta Sigma Sorority of Texas Christian University
“We firmly believe in the transformative power of education, and these scholarships enable us to invest in a generation of future leaders who will bring diverse perspectives and innovative solutions to our industry,” said Richard Jungman, VP, Fraternal Industry Leader. “Our company’s dedication to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within the insurance industry goes beyond words – it drives action.”
To be considered for the scholarship, students have to be a member of a Holmes Murphy Fraternal Practice client organization; a person of color; in good academic standing; currently enrolled as an undergraduate full-time student; and pursuing an undergraduate degree in Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Marketing, Communications, Insurance and Risk Management or be actively pursuing a career in the insurance industry post-graduation. Students submitted a resume, transcript, letter of recommendation, and answered essay questions as part of the application process.
“Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world,” said Olakunle Akande with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. of Hampton University. “To be a recipient of the Holmes Murphy Fraternal Practice scholarship means a lot to me because it provides me with the resources and a gateway for me to continue my education and receive higher knowledge to be a change in today’s world. A change in our economy requires a change in our insurance and healthcare as it is the pivotal point for ensuring the financial wellbeing and overall health of individuals, businesses, and the entire nation. Insurance is the guardian angel that shields us from the unpredictable storms of life — providing comfort, security, and a safety net in times of adversity.”
Holmes Murphy Fraternal Practice offers a dedicated team of insurance professionals with expertise in providing a full suite of risk management and insurance products to protect fraternal organizations as well as to support the work of fraternal organizations in the area of health, safety and wellbeing of their members.