Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Tax Accountant to join our Accounting team in Waukee, IA. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
- Employment Tax –
- Responsible for all employment tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll tax reconciliations
- Setup new jurisdictions with proper authorities and facilitate appropriate taxation.
- Ensure proper processing and reconciliation of W-2s and other YE forms
- Sales and Use Tax –
- File sales and use tax returns for multiple jurisdictions
- Reconcile payment made on filings against the general ledger
- Maintain accurate documentation of filings and payments
- Reconcile sales tax charged against invoices to ensure accurate filings
- Assist with state notices and issues as they arise.
- Surplus Lines Tax –
- File state surplus lines returns
- keep complete records of filings and supporting documentation
- maintain listings of surplus lines producers and policies for accurate filings
- Assist with information requests from state agencies.
- Prepare other tax filings such as excise tax, gross receipts, franchise tax and other state and federal filings
- Research, document and resolve tax issues and tax notices regarding assigned tax types
- Assist with researching tax laws and advise on impact of new laws on company’s tax liabilities
- Assist with other duties and projects as assigned by the Tax Manager
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy as well as strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use independent judgement.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time and meet deadlines during peak periods.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new changes.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state tax guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to be available for work daily for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Education: High School Diploma required; Four-year accounting degree preferred.
- Experience: 1-2 years’ accounting experience, preferably in a Tax Analyst, Tax Accountant, or related position.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.