Surety Underwriting Consultant
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Surety Underwriting Consultant to join our Surety team in Minneapolis, MN. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role will support the underwriting and value-add activities and initiatives of the Surety Department, assist in managing technical resources, and provide back-up to producer services to foster growth and client retention.
Work closely with Leaders and Business Partners to:
- Work with Surety Producers on underwriting analysis, as needed.
- Assist in organizing and managing information related to carriers, underwriting topics, the construction industry, and economic conditions.
- Special projects to add value to existing or prospective customers.
- Continued education on the surety process and product; construction industry; and risk management to support personal development and ability to be involved with complex clients.
- Develops and maintains positive work relationships with clients, industry professionals, underwriters, and other representatives of the carriers.
- Travel to clients, outside educational and industry opportunities, or other HMA offices, as needed.
- Develops and maintains positive work relationships with team members to include; participating in team meetings, providing back up when necessary, communicating information, and effectively problem solving as situations arise.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical surety expertise.
- Ability to understand the goals of Producers, underwriters and customers.
- Ability to independently travel to clients, outside educational and industry opportunities, or other HMA offices, as needed.
- Possesses leadership skills to help problem solve and share knowledge with the Surety team.
- Ability to acquire and maintain an active Commercial Insurance Agent’s license.
- Ability to perform and interpret complex mathematical calculations and willingness to learn.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting and negotiating with clients, and internal team members, and underwriters.
- Ability to work effectively both independently, as well as, in a team environment to attain team and Agency goals; as well as participate in team meetings by sharing new ideas.
- Knowledge of the workflow process and the ability to multitask.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment in order to perform functions of the job.
- Working knowledge or the ability to learn how to use various software packages such as, Erlon, Sagitta and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability and willingness to consistently participate in internal and external educational opportunities to enhance knowledge of current bond topics or relevant system improvements.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Ability and willingness to consistently participate in internal and external educational opportunities to enhance knowledge of current insurance topics or relevant system improvements.
- Ability and willingness to pursue a technical designation and/or continuing education, as appropriate.
- Education: High school diploma; college degree preferred. Active state specific Property Casualty Insurance agent’s license required or the ability to acquire a license within three months of hire.
- Experience: Minimum 3- 5 years of surety underwriting.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental, and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.