Surety Service Advisor
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Surety Service Advisor to join our Surety team in Madison, WI. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
Independently perform the daily tasks required to efficiently manage client service which includes processing and issuance of surety bonds for assigned clients as well as responding to daily client service needs which may include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares Surety Bonds as Required per Specifications and/or State Statutes
- Carries out the workflow process to issue bid bonds including another team member verifying the bond (as required) is correct before sending out to the client.
- Maintains current and accurate client information in the system, including main point of contact, addresses and Surety provider to ensure high levels of client satisfaction.
- Develops and maintains positive work relationships with team members to include participating in team meetings, providing back up when necessary, communicating information, and effectively problem solving as situations arise
- Responds to daily client requests of bid bonds, performance and payment bonds, commercial bonds, renewals and endorsements, as well as accurately invoicing bonds and answering accounting questions.
- Aids Client Executives in setting up new business by preparing General Indemnity Agreements, verifying client legal name and any other items to establish the account.
- Ability to meet monthly to review workflow procedures with other Consultants/Advisors
- Shares any new workflow procedures with team and helps implement procedures
- Meets with underwriters as needed to learn more about the marketplace
- Guides a client through the bond process, i.e. obtain necessary information such as financials, company information and job details to aid in the surety prequalification process
- Available for surety functions such as AGC, Local Surety Association Meetings, NASPB functions
- Calculates bond premium by determining classification of contractor’s type of work
- Helps market accounts with producers when needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Through Knowledge of Erlon system; not limited to adding new clients, bond numbers, ability to build out rates, surety providers, add forms and train existing team
- Ability to travel to client offices, outside educational opportunities or other CSDZ/HMA offices as needed.
- Ability to assist Surety producers in obtaining financial information from the client, having conversations about client financials with underwriters, and negotiating terms associated with a Surety bond.
- Possesses leadership skills to help problem solve and share knowledge with the Surety team.
- Ability to perform simple to complex mathematical calculations.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting with various clients, and internal team members.
- Ability to work effectively both independently, as well as, in a team environment to attain team and Agency goals; as well as participate in team meetings by sharing new workflow ideas.
- Ability to effectively build and maintain positive working relationships with others, maintaining a professional demeanor at all times, while serving as a resource to the team.
- Ability to follow all established agency procedures.
- Ability and willingness to pursue a technical designation and/or continuing education, as appropriate.
- Ability to acquire and maintain an active Commercial Insurance Agent’s license.
- Ability to become a notary.
- Education: High School Diploma required; college degree preferred.
- Active Property and Casualty Insurance agent license required, or the ability to acquire license within 3 months of hire.
- Experience: 5+ years’ experience preferred, managing client’s surety needs in a company or agency environment.
- Completed or working towards AFSB Designation is preferred.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increases and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.