Sr. Risk & Safety Consultant
The Sr. Risk and Safety Consultant advises clients and internal staff in alignment with company vision, mission and strategy. This includes detailed analysis of client’s risk management program and staying abreast of changes in the insurance market. Additionally, this individual will provide risk assessment and development of solutions for improving or mitigating loss experience and expanding business opportunities. You’ll serve as an elite expert and leader in the field and within our agency by servicing large, unique and/or high-profile clients.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess a unique blend of expertise in construction and general industry combined with a strong commitment to providing exceptional service across both sectors. Clients are located primarily in Texas but with the potential for occasional out-of-state work. Although the mix of clients will change as we grow, it is estimated that about 70% of assigned clients will be construction focused and the remaining 30% will be general industries (manufacturing, services, and related clients). If you enjoy the variety of visiting a jobsite one day and a manufacturing facility the next day, this may be the ideal job for you. Read more below about how we make a difference for our clients.
- Serve our current clients by identifying areas for improvement in their risk management programs and providing solutions to close noted gaps. Services provided include all insurable risks (workers’ compensation, auto, property, and liability, etc.), regulatory compliance and reporting, and include loss sensitive and captive risk management programs.
- Provide analysis, consultation, oversight and direction of large and complex clients’ risk management programs and processes. Assist clients in enhancing their safety performance and culture.
- Provide on-site and remote client services such as: training seminars, on-site hazard assessments, strategy development, crisis management procedures, loss trend analysis, policy/procedure development, goal setting, and monitoring of program success and recommended future initiatives.
- Provide catastrophic investigation/analysis/coordination of accident/incidents.
- Perform research and follow-up for clients on safety related issues and questions.
- Help grow Holmes Murphy’s business by participating in prospective client meetings and assessments to understand each prospect’s unique needs. Propose service ideas to help each client reach their greatest potential.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders that may include clients, service consultants, claims consultants, and producers.
- Work with carrier loss control and underwriting personnel to provide the greatest value to our shared clients.
- Maintain active contacts within safety, risk management, and insurance to keep informed of innovative technologies and best practices that may benefit our clients.
- Provide guidance and input for company blogs, newsletters, videos, and other digital communications. Remains active in local and national risk/safety organizations and presents at educational conferences in areas of expertise.
- Mentor Risk & Safety Specialists and Consultants as part of established learning paths. Maintain knowledge of insurance industry trends and changing requirements in the insurance industry and communicate to clients and internal team members.
- Assist internal team with prospective clients as requested, including participating in meetings, client assessments, providing input on RFPs and with making presentations.
- Perform special projects as identified by leader(s), including risk and safety services for HMA as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced technical and insurance risk management knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge in the performance of job duties.
- Advanced presentation and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting with clients and or internal team members.
- Demonstrated ability to influence decisions through effective written and verbal communication with persons at all levels in an organization is critical.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and other technology platforms as needed, such as agency management system.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a focus on continuous improvement.
- The ability to adapt to the changing conditions of the insurance marketplace and a willingness to update your skills to meet those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- The ability to learn and use advanced technology associated with job functions is critical.
- The ability to maintain high level confidentiality relating to all duties and responsibilities.
- High level of organizational ability; able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to provide own transportation.
- Ability to travel frequently including overnight.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license and access to automobile.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as needed.
- Ability to perform on-site inspections and/or assessments.
- Ability and willingness to continue industry related education.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in safety program or equivalent education and/or experience. Advance degree preferred, and/or industry-related designations or certifications such as CSP, ASP, ARM, CFPS, OSHA and MSHA preferred. Active state specific Property Casualty Insurance agent’s license required or the ability to acquire license within three months of hire.
- Experience: 7+ years of experience as a company safety manager, insurance professional, or similar technical role and experience providing risk and safety services to large complex businesses preferred.
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.