Sr. Financial Analyst, Health Plans
Do you excel at providing strategic guidance using financial and accounting analyses? Would you like to join a company with a flexible environment, a competitive benefits and salary package, and where celebrating successes is just part of the everyday culture? We have to admit, who wouldn’t want that?!
At Holmes Murphy, we are our client’s Health Asset Manager. To set the stage for customized management of our client’s health assets, we are excited to expand our financial analyst roles at the Enterprise level. This allows us to take a collaborative and consistent approach to proactively identify, develop, and maintain client specific financial and claims analyses. This new role will work together with our existing financial analyst team, as well as the Enterprise financial analyst team.
Our employees play to their strengths and contribute to who we are and want to be. We like to think of ourselves as pretty irresistible. If that intrigues you and you think you have what it takes to join our team as a Sr. Financial Analyst within our Employee Benefits division in our Waukee, IA office, read on!
Here’s just a bit of what you’d do:
- Develops and maintains client specific financial and claims analysis reports for strategic customers.
- Creates annual/quarterly budgeting and re-forecasts to include detailed explanations of variances for client health and welfare plans (active medical, dental, vision, STD/LTD, life, retiree, medical/dental, and other plans as necessary).
Works with Client Account Teams, Chief Actuary, and Director of Underwriting and Analytics in:
- Budgeting, analysis, strategy and design of self-funded health plans
- Analyzing IBNR reserves
- Developing COBRA Rates
- Builds and maintains financial models to support client account teams, to include other financial analyst staff.
- Mentors and trains colleagues, as necessary.
- Assists and implements strategies and plans which support health and welfare benefit plan objectives
- Learns and develops new tools to assist with problem solving studies.
- Provides technical research and analysis on benefit issues
- Stays abreast of local and national trends and regulatory issues surrounding benefit plan design and administration; uses such information to in development of client benefit strategies and financial analysis.
- Assists account teams with managing benefit vendors and carriers, as well as day to day benefit administration support as needed.
- Interfaces directly with colleagues on benefits and financial questions and concerns.
- Participates in face-to-face client and vendor meetings as required.
- Project management of special benefits projects
- Takes ownership of problem-solving opportunities.
- Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, clients and insurance carriers.
- Provides timely, accurate, courteous, and appropriate responses to co-workers, clients and insurance carriers.
- Assists client teams in meeting HIPAA, ERISA, PPACA and all other employee benefit related compliance regulations.
- Recommends strategic and tactical initiatives based upon data analyzed and the financial results thereof.
- Develops financial support for client recommendations for enhancements/changes to existing plans/programs
- Evaluates retiree plan options.
- Evaluates plan renewals and assists with vendor negotiations.
- Coordinates the review and negotiation of contract provisions between insurance carriers and other service providers and the client; Coordinates the execution of plan documents, service agreements and other renewal acceptance and contracts
- Gathers, analyzes, and summarizes data, surveys, market trends and projections for client analysis; develop metrics as needed for budgeting and financial analysis
- Identifies and documents data and analytic sources available through current employee benefits vendors, Holmes Murphy, and serviced clients.
- Maintains employer and plan specific data on benefit plans and programs
- Participates in client financial and program strategy meetings among client executives, client vendors/carriers and Holmes Murphy.
- Acts as a liaison with clients, other client advisors, carriers and vendors on various matters such as plan design, contracts, regulatory requirements, coverage and renewals
- Acts as a resource to Holmes Murphy & Associates account teams, Holmes Murphy & Associates locations, local management and Holmes Murphy & Associates Business Partners in addressing various benefit matters
- Prioritizes work of others, interprets procedures, ensures daily operations are maintained, takes steps to modify schedules and train assigned employees. Act as a role model and provide developmental and educational training. May provide input and/or complete performance reviews.
- Employs Holmes Murphy & Associates policies and procedures to execute all job related responsibilities.
You’d also need to be equipped with the knowledge, skills and abilities to do the job, including, but not limited to, having:
- Thorough understanding of standard underwriting procedures
- Understands and analyzes employee benefit coverages without assistance
- Strong programming skills and knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively and appropriately with coworkers, clients, prospects, and vendors
- Effectively presents to client executives, client teams, and others in small or large groups
- Ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to listen, understand and address client needs and concerns in the processes.
- Perceives client needs and takes initiative to support those needs
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Is multi-tasked oriented and prioritizes work, voluntarily extends hours, and/or solicits additional resources when necessary to ensure timely completion of tasks.
And, let’s not forget the qualifications for the job:
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience, preferably in a life/health, employee benefits or provider organization, is required.
- A high school diploma is required, and a college degree is preferred.
- Active Life & Health insurance license is preferred.
- The ability to work regular core hours Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. is required.
Finally, ask yourself this, “Am I a difference maker?” If you answered yes and you think you have what it takes to be a Sr. Financial Analyst at Holmes Murphy, apply today!