Sr. Financial Analyst, Health Plans
Do you have a background in health plan underwriting or actuarial experience? Have you ever worked for a company whose motto is “Work hard, play hard, and love who you do it with”; who’s passionate about challenging you to think differently; and who cares about YOU the employee?
This describes Holmes Murphy to a “T” as well as one of our latest job openings! We are looking for candidates that would be the perfect fit to join our team as a Sr. Financial Analyst in the Employee Benefits department of our Omaha, NE office. If this sounds like your dream job, keep reading!
- Develops and maintains client specific financial and claims analysis reports.
- Creates annual/quarterly budgeting and re-forecasts to include detailed explanations of variances for client health and welfare plans (active medical, dental, vision, STD/LTD, life, retiree, medical/dental, and other plans as necessary).
Works with Client Account Teams, Chief Actuary, and Director of Underwriting and Analytics in:
- Budgeting, analysis, strategy and design of self-funded health plans
- Analyzing IBNR reserves
- Developing COBRA Rates
- Builds and maintains financial models to support client account teams, to include other financial analyst staff; mentors and trains colleagues, as necessary.
- Assists and implements strategies and plans which support health and welfare benefit plan objectives
- Learns and develops new tools to assist with problem solving studies.
- Provides technical research and analysis on benefit issues
- Stays abreast of local and national trends and regulatory issues surrounding benefit plan design and administration; uses such information to in development of client benefit strategies and financial analysis.
- Assists account teams with managing benefit vendors and carriers, as well as day to day benefit administration support as needed.
- Interfaces directly with colleagues on benefits and financial questions and concerns.
- Participates in face-to-face client and vendor meetings as required.
- Project management of special benefits projects
- Takes ownership of problem-solving opportunities.
- Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, clients and insurance carriers.
- Provides timely, accurate, courteous, and appropriate responses to co-workers, clients and insurance carriers.
- Assists client teams in meeting HIPAA, ERISA, PPACA and all other employee benefit related compliance regulations.
- Recommends strategic and tactical initiatives based upon data analyzed and the financial results thereof.
- Develops financial support for client recommendations for enhancements/changes to existing plans/programs
- Evaluates retiree plan options.
- Evaluates plan renewals and assists with vendor negotiations.
- Coordinates the review and negotiation of contract provisions between insurance carriers and other service providers and the client; Coordinates the execution of plan documents, service agreements and other renewal acceptance and contracts
- Gathers, analyzes, and summarizes data, surveys, market trends and projections for client analysis; develop metrics as needed for budgeting and financial analysis
- Identifies and documents data and analytic sources available through current employee benefits vendors, Holmes Murphy, and serviced clients.
- Maintains employer and plan specific data on benefit plans and programs
- Participates in client financial and program strategy meetings among client executives, client vendors/carriers and Holmes Murphy.
- Acts as a liaison with clients, other client advisors, carriers and vendors on various matters such as plan design, contracts, regulatory requirements, coverage and renewals
- Acts as a resource to Holmes Murphy & Associates account teams, Holmes Murphy & Associates locations, local management and Holmes Murphy & Associates Business Partners in addressing various benefit matters
- Prioritizes work of others, interprets procedures, ensures daily operations are maintained, takes steps to modify schedules and train assigned employees. Act as a role model and provide developmental and educational training. May provide input and/or complete performance reviews.
- Employs Holmes Murphy & Associates policies and procedures to execute all job related responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of standard underwriting procedures
- Understands and analyzes employee benefit coverages without assistance
- Strong programming skills and knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint.
- Communicates effectively and appropriately with coworkers, clients, prospects, and vendors
- Effectively presents to client executives, client teams, and others in small or large groups
- Ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to listen, understand and address client needs and concerns in the processes.
- Perceives client needs and takes initiative to support those needs
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Is multi-tasked oriented and prioritizes work, voluntarily extends hours, and/or solicits additional resources when necessary to ensure timely completion of tasks.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience, preferably in a life/health, employee benefits or provider organization, is required.
- A high school diploma is required, and a college degree is preferred.
- Active State Specific Life & Health insurance license is preferred.
If you’re ready for a new and exciting opportunity to work for an amazing company and you think you have what it takes to be a Sr. Financial Analyst for Holmes Murphy, apply today!