Sr. Accountant, Tax
Holmes Murphy has always believed that investing in our employees, the spaces in which they work, and the environment that we provide are all critical to our culture, purpose, and the services we offer. After all, we know that employees who feel appreciated and recognized for their hard work and dedication results in employees who feel immensely invested in the success of our clients and our company. On top of this, our employees have a seat at the table and the opportunity to pave their own way. Cool, right?! If you nodded yes, check out our Sr. Account, Tax position and apply!
We are looking to add a Sr. Accountant, Tax to join our Accounting team in Waukee, IA. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
The Senior Accountant, Tax is responsible for supporting all activities in the Tax accounting function as required by the company and external regulators. Responsibilities will include tax research and planning, income tax and indirect tax compliance, and assisting with other areas such as tax incentives and employment tax.
- Responsible for preparing, reconciling, and completing all tax related processes assigned to the tax team including Income tax, Sales and Use, Payroll and Surplus Lines tax.
- Coordinate and communicate with shareholders of Holmes Murphy and Associates on tax filings and related documentation.
- Responsible for filing and administration of sales and use tax process and other indirect taxed in multiple jurisdictions.
- Identify and implement process improvements related to indirect tax processes to correct errors and increase efficiency in reporting.
- Assist with managing the retention and maintenance of tax records and documentation.
- Provide support for sales tax exemption requests and other tax requests from all areas of the business.
- Prepare and file Surplus Lines returns and assist with maintaining proper documentation and records.
- Oversee the timely filing of payroll tax returns by external partner and ensure compliance with all employment tax matters.
- Communicate with tax authorities on notices and coordinate the resolution of any discrepancies or issues.
- Work with external tax partners on the completion of outsourced tax work
- Prepare other tax filings such as excise tax, gross receipts, franchise tax and other state and federal filings as needed.
- Research, document and resolve tax issues and tax notices regarding assigned tax types.
- Assist with researching tax laws and advise on impact of new laws on company’s tax liabilities.
- Assist with other duties and projects as assigned by the Director, Tax and Finance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy as well as strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use independent judgement.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time and meet deadlines during peak periods.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new changes.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state tax guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to be available for work daily for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; CPA certification preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 4 years of accounting experience; 2-3 years’ experience in a Tax Analyst, Tax Accountant, or related position
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.