Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Financial Accountant to join our Innovative Captive Strategies team in Waukee, IA. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role will manage a portfolio of captive insurance companies. The ideal candidate should have an accounting background, a passion for client service, keen attention to detail, and strong problem solving skills.
Work closely with Leaders and Business Partners to:
- Perform monthly reconciliations on all banking and investment accounts for captives.
- Compile, reconcile and compute data for a variety of reports which could include loss data, premium data, bordereaux reconciliations, reinsurance reporting, expense budgets, and taxable income allocations/calculations.
- Prepare quarterly/annual premium tax returns and file accurately within deadlines.
- Preparation of quarterly/annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare annual financial statements in accordance with NAIC and state of domicile statutory reporting requirements.
- Liaison with auditors, tax advisors, insurance carriers, actuaries, investment managers and other professional partners as necessary.
- Communicate with and educate clients on all financial aspects of their participation in a captive insurance company.
- Become familiar with captive insurance company operations and workflow.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Develop and maintain positive work relationships with team members including participation in team meetings, providing back up support as necessary, communication of information, and effective problem solving.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic understanding of US GAAP and the preparation of financial statements.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft software products, specifically OUTLOOK, WORD, EXCEL, and POWERPOINT. Ability to effectively use the internet/intranet.
- Experience with financial accounting reporting systems.
- Ability to perform simple to complex mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/duties simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively both independently as well as in a team environment to attain personal, team and company goals.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting with clients, company personnel, and team members.
- Ability and willingness to participate in internal and external educational opportunities to enhance knowledge of current insurance topics.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Ability to assist in other work-related duties, as necessary.
- Education: Accounting degree strongly preferred. CPA designation not required.
- Experience: Minimum 2 years of accounting experience, preferably in the insurance industry.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.