Enterprise Portfolio Manager/Senior Project Manager
Do you excel at planning and executing projects? Do you have a passion for contributing to the profitability, value and growth of your clients’ business? Have you ever worked for a company whose motto is “Work hard, play hard, and love who you do it with”; who’s passionate about challenging you to think differently; and who cares about YOU the employee?
This describes Holmes Murphy to a “T” as well as one of our latest job openings! Plus, did we mention we also have a flexible environment and a competitive benefits and salary package?! If this sounds like an awesome opportunity and you think you’re a perfect fit to join our team as a combined Enterprise Portfolio Manager/Sr. Project Manager in our Waukee, Iowa, office, keep reading!
Enterprise Portfolio Manager overview:
The Enterprise Portfolio Manager is responsible for managing all enterprise projects from a high-level perspective. This includes prioritizing projects, planning and staffing them realistically with qualified and available employees, monitoring them, and keeping all involved parties informed about their status. The Enterprise Portfolio Manager has overall accountability for ensuring the enterprise is getting the best return possible on its strategic project investments. This constitutes 20% of the role initially and may grow as Holmes Murphy grows.
Sr. Project Manager overview:
The Sr. Project Manager is responsible for leading strategic project(s) and team(s) towards successful project completion within deadlines and budget. This includes project planning, execution, timing, functionality, quality, communication and cost. The Sr. Project Manager has overall accountability from project kickoff through the final implementation of solutions. Ensuring on-time delivery of new and enhanced business capabilities that meet or exceed expectations is an integral part of the role.
- Leadership: This position may have supervisory responsibilities and always serves as a coach and mentor for other positions throughout the organization. Work with others to drive portfolio and project management best practices, serving as a resource for project and portfolio management tools and methods.
- Strategy Alignment: Assist the Chief Strategy Officer in ensuring projects are prioritized and strategically aligned to the direction of the company.
- Analysis: Analyze project data at an aggregate level and generate insights and recommendations to best attain business objectives. Challenge project data related to risk, value, cost, and time to ensure clarity and consistency for execution and decision making.
- Facilitation: Facilitate decision making around which projects will be implemented and when.
- Collect, analyze, validate, and summarize proposed projects/business cases for appropriate next steps.
- Support and/or manage the stage-gate governance process to ensure project teams are prepared, meeting objectives are met, and action items are assigned.
- Ensure decision makers and key stakeholders are provided the appropriate data and insights to make portfolio investments that will deliver desired business results.
- Execution Oversight: Monitor the progress of projects in the portfolio to identify dependencies, escalate issues/risks, and ensure realized business value .
- Risk Management:
- Identify, analyze, and communicate problems, issues, risks, solutions, etc. both via written and oral methods to stakeholders and applicable leadership.
- Facilitate resolution, mitigation, and appropriate escalation.
- Resource Management:
- Perform portfolio planning, analysis, resource (capacity and demand) forecasting and/or budget planning.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of work plans to determine the required tasks and resources for complex projects spanning multiple business units. Organize, facilitate, and lead teams towards successful project completion. Project Management: Acts a Project Manager/Leader for business-critical, high impact portfolio projects.
- Schedule Management: Lead efforts involving schedules, resource and capacity planning to drive project towards timely completion.
- Integration Management: Demonstrate competency in coordinating all aspects of large, complex projects involving multiple disciplines; coordinate projects with other on-going efforts.
- Financial Management: Monitor project progress and anticipated total spend against budget and ROI.
- Vendor Management: Communicate and manage work with third-party vendors to meet project requirements.
- Stakeholder Management:
- Identify all stakeholders impacted by the project, managing their expectations and project involvement as needed.
- Ensure all key stakeholders are kept informed of project issues, obstacles and progress, including status reporting.
- Quality Management: Ensure quality standards are defined, monitored, and met throughout the project.
- Communication Management:
- Conduct post project reviews and communicate lessons learned.
- Prepare status reports and presentations regarding portfolio health and/or status.
- Scope Management: Partner with business and other areas such as IT, Marketing and HR to manage scope of projects. Manages reductions and additions to scope through an established change management process to ensure right work is done to complete the project.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Advanced analytical abilities.
- Ability to design, develop, and communicate accounting and finance related deliverables (resource plans, budgets, forecasts, variance analysis, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Demonstrated and proven track record of successful project implementations on various sizes of projects.
- Ability to, lead people, and influence change.
- Excellent client facing skills.
- Experience with the whole project life cycle.
- Significant ability to use portfolio management tools.
- Ability to have a strong impact and influence key decisions.
- Ability to consult in an organization with a matrixed environment.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of exercising discretion and independent judgment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, especially with senior leaders.
- Ability to remain calm and professional during peak periods of inquiries.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience as a project manager on strategic projects.
- 5+ years of experience as a portfolio manager in a $500 mil+ company.
- Experience in Information Technology preferred.
- Experience in both waterfall and agile environments helpful.
- PMI certification preferred.
If you’re ready for a new and exciting opportunity to work for an amazing company and you think you have what it takes to be a highly skilled Enterprise Portfolio Manager/Sr. Project Manager for Holmes Murphy, apply today!