Compliance Consultant, EB
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerage companies. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a fast-paced work environment and vibrant company culture, and the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We are looking to add a Compliance Consultant to join our Employee Benefits team in Dallas, TX, Waukee, IA or Minneapolis, MN. Ideal candidates will have an innovative mindset, strong interpersonal skills, and a love of learning.
The Employee Benefits Compliance Consultant reports to the EB Compliance Director and works in tandem with, the compliance committee and line of business leadership to research, develop, deliver, and maintain compliance information for employees and clients. The Employee Benefits Compliance Consultant exercises independent legal judgment to develop legal guidance and interpretation to employee and clients of all aspects of existing and proposed benefits related laws and regulations, including but not limited to ERISA, the Code, ACA, HIPAA, IRS cafeteria plans, and DOL employer rules and disclosures.
Work closely with the Compliance team to:
- Provide strategic compliance guidance, both internally and with clients, regarding applicable federal and state laws, including all aspects of Internal Revenue Code (the Code), ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, internal Holmes Murphy policies and procedures, and other relevant laws and regulations as they affect employee benefit plans, to ensure effective customer service and mitigate corporate risk;
- Respond directly to client inquiries and consult on areas to mitigate client risk without providing legal advice;
- Track healthcare-related legislation and regulations to provide analysis, counsel, updates, thought leadership and training on pending legislative and regulatory changes that can impact our business.
- Develop and maintain written, client-facing educational tools for health and welfare employee benefits compliance;
- Create and deliver educational presentations for clients and Holmes Murphy employees to keep them abreast of legal and regulatory developments through individual interaction, internal and external webinars, seminars and other live events annually;
- Create, modify, and update contracts, agreements, and other legal documents for the express use in the marketing and delivery of products and services to our clients;
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and their implications;
- Provide general legal research on various matters for Holmes Murphy and affiliated companies;
- Provide litigation and dispute resolution support for cases involving Holmes Murphy or Holmes Murphy client matter; and
- Provide strategic support to Legal and Compliance or Operations leadership and function as part of an employee benefits team to meet the overall objectives for the health and welfare employee benefits compliance team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent research, writing, presentation, communication and problem-solving skills with the ability to synthesize complex material into user-friendly end product;
- Possess general business acumen with a consultative approach to legal and compliance;
- Command of employee benefits laws and regulations that includes a practical understanding of how they relate to benefit program administration with specific knowledge of the ACA, ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA and Medicare
- Understanding of regulatory agencies and rulemaking processes that can impact employee benefits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex topics in a practical way and provide practical answers to client questions
- Excellent problem solving, organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and timely deliver content in keeping with established processes
- Ability to lead or take direction, as appropriate
- Experience drafting white papers on benefits compliance issues and written legal analysis.
- Experience in public speaking, including developing and delivering benefits compliance training content
- Strong attention to detail, organizational, and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Self-motivated, high energy, enthusiastic individual with the ability and desire to work in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency with Microsoft products and systems.
- Minimum 4-6 years ERISA and Employee Benefits and compliance experience;
- JD and licensed and in good standing desired; Active state bar license recommended.
- Prior experience at carrier or broker agency firm and/or Labor & Employment Law experience a plus;
- Responsible Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Parental Leave and New Parent Benefits
- 401k Profit Sharing
- Flexible/remote work arrangements
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer