Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerage companies. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with!
Offering a fast-paced work environment and vibrant company culture, there really is no place like Holmes! We are looking for a Claims Specialist to join our Property & Casualty Claims Team in either our Waukee, IA or Cedar Rapids, IA location. Ideal candidates will have insurance knowledge, strong interpersonal skills, and a love of learning.
This position assists our claims team with claim management, advocacy and analysis to company clients.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and operates as an effective partner with clients to include, but not limited to, the following:
- Consult, educate and assist clients with claims related functions and services including:
- Assist clients in reporting claims
- Assist the client in properly determining coverage.
- Educate the client of the claim process for various losses.
- Serve as a good faith client advocate for the client’s insurance interests.
- Review open losses to ensure proper handling and reserving.
- Provide and/or oversee accurate and timely loss information for internal and external clients use.
- Assist Claims Consultants as needed.
- Immediately notify all parties in litigated matters and ensure timely notice of new lawsuits.
- Assist in on-boarding new clients or changes in client’s insurance partners as requested to ensure proper awareness of claim requirements, needs and concerns are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Perform research and follow-up for clients on claims managements issues and questions.
- Perform special projects as identified by clients, your leader and VP, Enterprise Claims.
- Perform customer service functions on a day-to-day basis such as answering client questions and handling concerns.
- Maintain active contact within the industry to keep informed of industry trends.
- Serve as a contact person for Holmes Murphy & Associates claims department.
- Effectively work with and assist Holmes Murphy team members enterprise-wide to ensure best results for internal and external clients.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to learn and utilize advance technology associated with job functions.
- Capable of exercising discretion in confidential matters and use independent judgment.
- Ability to type and use a personal computer utilizing various software packages, including but not limited, to Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, agency software and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate well with persons at all levels of authority in writing or verbally, as well as in person on limited basis.
- Excellent knowledge of standard claim processing procedures and the ability to apply that knowledge in the performance of job duties.
- Ability to use expertise and professional judgment in analyzing simple to complex coverage requirements, identifying appropriate resources, and resolving complex insurance issues.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously during peak periods.
- Ability to utilize above average mathematical skills.
- Ability to provide own transportation and ability to travel on a limited basis.
- Ability to be available for work on a daily basis for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively utilizing telephone, email and letters.
- Ability and willingness to continue industry related education.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance.
- High level of organizational ability.
Education: High School diploma required, college degree preferred. AIC/CPCU or other industry-related insurance education preferred. State- specific state commercial & personal property-casualty license required or ability to obtain within three months of hire.
Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience in commercial property and casualty claims, agency and/or insurance. Multi-line or workers’ compensation experience a plus.
- Personal Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- 401k Profit Sharing
- Flexible work arrangements
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.