Claims Specialist, PC – Waukee, IA
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Claims Specialist to join our Claims team in Waukee. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role will provide high quality property casualty claim management, advocacy and analysis to company clients and assist internal staff in alignment with division and company vision, mission and strategy.
Work closely with Leaders and Business Partners to:
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and operates as an effective partner with clients to include, but not limited to, the following:
- Consult, educate and assist clients with claims related functions and services including:
- Assist clients in reporting claims
- Assist the client in properly determining coverage.
- Educate the client of the claim process for various losses.
- Serve as a good faith client advocate for the client’s insurance interests.
- Review open losses to ensure proper handling and reserving.
- Provide and/or oversee accurate and timely loss information for internal and external clients use.
- Assist Claims Consultants as needed.
- Immediately notify all parties in litigated matters and ensure timely notice of new lawsuits.
- Assist in on-boarding new clients or changes in client’s insurance partners as requested to ensure proper awareness of claim requirements, needs and concerns are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Perform research and follow-up for clients on claims managements issues and questions.
- Perform special projects as identified by clients, Division Leader and VP, Risk Management Services.
- Perform customer service functions on a day-to-day basis such as answering client questions and handling concerns.
- Maintain active contact within the industry to keep informed of industry trends.
- Serve as a contact person for Holmes Murphy & Associates claims department.
- Effectively work with and assist Holmes Murphy team members enterprise-wide to ensure best results for internal and external clients
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to learn and utilize advance technology associated with job functions.
- Capable of exercising discretion in confidential matters and use independent judgment.
- Ability to type and use a personal computer utilizing various software packages, including but not limited, to Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, agency software and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate well with persons at all levels of authority in writing or verbally, as well as in person on limited basis.
- Excellent knowledge of standard claim processing procedures and the ability to apply that knowledge in the performance of job duties.
- Ability to use expertise and professional judgment in analyzing simple to complex coverage requirements, identifying appropriate resources, and resolving complex insurance issues.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously during peak periods.
- Ability to utilize above average mathematical skills.
- Ability to provide own transportation and ability to travel on a limited basis.
- Ability to be available for work on a daily basis for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively utilizing telephone, email and letters.
- Ability and willingness to continue industry related education.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance.
- High level of organizational ability.
- Education: College degree or extensive property casualty claim and insurance experience preferred. AIC/CPCU or other industry-related insurance education preferred. State- specific state commercial & personal property-casualty license required or ability to obtain within three months of hire.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience in commercial property and casualty claims, agency and/or insurance. Multi-line or workers’ compensation experience a plus
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.