Business Development Consultant, CRS
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Business Development Consultant to join our Creative Risk Solutions team. Ideal candidate would be located in or around Waukee, IA but open to other locations outside of Iowa based on experience. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role will set and achieve goals to grow revenues profitably through adding new clients and maintaining a consultative role with current clients.
Here is just a bit of what you would do:
- Develop and implement sales strategies, which result in achieving (or exceeding) new sales volume and profitability objectives.
- Ability to cold call, gain favorable access, qualify, and close new accounts
- Consult on exposure, risk and claims matters with a multitude of industries.
- Actively generate new sales leads through community activities, association meetings and qualified sales calls. Obtain expiration dates and other personal or company historical information to pre-qualify prospects.
- Look for opportunities to cross sell with other entities of HMA.
- Provide accurate and complete information on potential accounts and renewal accounts to the assigned Client Service Consultant for the purpose of developing a complete claims program presentation.
- Help market these accounts, present proposals to prospects and clients, close sale.
- Handles complex processing and claim situations with client and/or company personnel.
- Maintains production reports and attends sales meetings as required.
- Promotes the agency and the insurance industry in the community.
- Participates in company and agency sales goals.
- Keeps informed of industry developments through a review of the trade press and by attending company-training meetings on new or revised products.
- Additional duties that may be requested by the Vice President.
You’d also need to be equipped with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do the job, including, but not limited to:
- Possess sales skills and utilize a sales process that will meet goals.
- Knowledge and ability for ongoing learning of claims industry.
- Capable of exercising discretion, in confidential matters, and using independent judgement.
- Ability to communicate well with persons at all levels of authority in writing or verbally.
- Ability to work with detail, follow directions and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to learn and utilize advance technology associated with job functions.
- Ability to learn standard claims procedures.
- Ability to learn how to effectively use a personal computer utilizing various software packages.
- Ability to read, understand and analyze coverages, forms, policies and loss runs.
- Ability to provide own transportation and ability to travel.
- Education: College degree preferred, with state specific licensing and industry specific professional designations.
- Experience: Similar sales experience, preferably in commercial property casualty insurance. Claims background a plus. Hold Iowa Insurance agent’s license.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.