Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerage companies. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with!
Offering a fast-paced work environment and vibrant company culture, there really is no place like Holmes! If you are up for the challenge of upholding our strong tradition of exceptional service, consider applying to our Benefits Specialist opening in our Davenport, IA office.
The purpose of this position is to respond to intermediate to complex inquiries about employee benefit programs, including but limited to, health, life, disability, medical/dependent care spending accounts, COBRA and leave of absence/FMLA. Performs research to achieve problem solution; answer questions about leave of absence as well as various benefits related mailings and communications; requires basic knowledge of organization benefit programs, payroll process and HRIS systems; refers more complex inquiries, as needed.
The basic responsibilities of this position may include the following but will be dependent upon specific client needs. Job functions may be subject to change at any time due to reassignment of duties and responsibilities and change in client needs.
- Assists new employees with benefits orientation and enrollment.
- Presents and enrolls employee in voluntary/worksite marketing products.
- Services employees by telephone and in person on issues such as, but not limited to:
- Review insurance in place and assess future need of client.
- Evaluate and recommend insurance options for clients
- Answer questions on benefits, eligibility, claims, etc.
- Responds to and resolves escalated/complex issues and inquiries regarding client’s health and welfare benefits, benefits premiums/payroll deductions, HRIS system, etc. through phone and email.
- As needed and dependent upon client location, functions as 2nd level support for Benefits Helpline Team and fully documents all cases.
- Assists with various types of outbound/return calls including but not limited to, incomplete paperwork/forms, general process/procedure, benefit premium payment arrangements), etc.
- As needed, assists with data entry, processing and testing of client’s HRIS system.
- Performs other duties/functions as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of employee benefit coverages and the ability to apply that knowledge in the performance of the job duties.
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting with various carriers, company personnel, and team members.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Experience with HR systems in area of benefit administration.
- Excellent telephone manner with clear, concise, and professional communication skills.
- Demonstrates empathy for personal circumstances of associates, while remaining objective.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, self-directed, team-based environment.
- Consistently demonstrates commitment to and delivers timely, effective support to both internal and external customers.
- Effectively interacts with customers (internal and external), co-workers, management, vendors, and other partners.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Keep current with industry trends, HR/Benefits best practices, and pending legislation.
- Ability to handle competing priorities.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; college degree preferred. Active state-specific life & health insurance agent license required or ability to acquire within three months of hire.
- Two or more years of HR/Employee Benefits experience preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with benefit plans experience a plus.
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- 401k Profit Sharing
- Flexible/remote work arrangements
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.