Architects and Engineers Technical Consultant
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add an Architects and Engineers Technical Consultant to join our Property and Casualty team in Peoria, IL or Dallas, TX. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role serves as an Architects & Engineers “A&E” Technical Subject Matter Expert focusing specifically in the following areas 1) Professional and Design Liability Technical Expertise Construction Technical Expertise – Client Experience & Sales, 2) A&E L&D/Strategy, and 3) A&E Data/Benchmarking. The position will strive to continuously add value and make Holmes Murphy better at managing & consulting A&E risk.
A&E Technical Expertise – Client Experience & Sales
- Design and conduct contract review training for internal team members.
- Assist with the preparation and presentation of annual reviews and renewal proposals.
- Keep informed of industry developments through participation in industry networks and by attending company-training meetings on new, or revised products.
- Assist in onboarding new A&E Team employees
- Higher-level contract review and advice, as needed
- Coverage template confirmation and negotiation with key carrier partners
- Author and co-author SRP marketplace reviews:
- Provide technical updates for team members on a frequent and regular basis (AIA A201 changes, etc)
- Insurance Rider updates (i.e. PO Sample, vendor/supplier sample, etc.)
- Partner-level prospect insurance program reviews
- Complete project-based work as needed to add value to the A&E team at HMA.
- Cross-sell and up-sell Construction products.
- Participate in new business opportunities when invited by the producer and develop new business opportunities on your own as they become available.
L&D/Strategy – A&E Team & Industry
- Provide internal and external thought leadership and promotion through external speaking engagements, social media blogs.
- Seek out and provide internal and external educational opportunities.
- Raise the A&E industry, competency, and proficiency of Sales, Service, and Placement teams through coaching on client service strategies and products.
- Externally raise awareness of HMA capabilities through speaking appearances, outside media channels, and professional societies/networks/associations.
- Develop long-term productive relationships with direct carrier partners and wholesale intermediaries.
- Coordination/Development of Construction Data/Benchmarking
- Coordinate client/prospect data collection, aggregation and analysis
- Take recent claims and break down as to how/where coverages/endorsements came into play or not
- Proactively provide updates on the various new endorsements that partner carriers put out along with any revisions made to policy endorsements
- Take ownership of writing/building the tools/resources/training materials outlined for insurance department’s use as well as file/maintain the most current documents in SharePoint for all to access
- Provide A&E technical expertise support to both Sales and Client Experience team members regarding executive responding to service questions or issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent, advanced knowledge of A&E industry risk and the ability to apply that knowledge in the performance of the job duties.
- Excellent understanding of effective sales and customer service methods and the ability to apply this knowledge relative from the broker perspective.
- Ability to read, understand, and analyze insurance coverage, forms and policies.
- Ability to develop and foster effective relationships with clients, prospects, underwriters, as well as sales team members.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these skills in either verbal or written form when interacting with various clients and team members.
- Ability to make innovative and effective decisions, acting independently, and in a proactive manner within company guidelines.
- Ability to act upon own vision, willingness to take risks where necessary, and motivate/instill energy amongst peers/colleagues.
- The ability to travel for projects, and events, as required.
- Ability to maintain an active insurance agent’s license.
- Ability to keep current on industry trends to include legislative compliance issues.
- Ability to operate a computer and software technology such as Word and Excel.
- Ability to perform intermediate PC functions including spreadsheet formulas and functions, queries, tables, mergers and special reports.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/duties simultaneously.
- Education: College degree preferred with state specific licensing and industry specific professional designations.
- Licensing: Active state specific Property Casualty Insurance agent’s license required or the ability to acquire license within three months of hire.
- Experience: 10+ years’ experience in commercial property casualty insurance, executive risk, cyber and professional liability business experience required. Experience in underwriting or broking preferred.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.