Accountant, Insurance Payables
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add an Accountant, Insurance Payables to join our Accounting team in Waukee, IA. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role is responsible for managing all activities within the Insurance Payables accounting function in accordance with the objectives and procedures set forth by the management of HMA Group Holdings, LLC and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
Work closely with Leaders and Business Partners to:
- Process carrier/broker insurance payments via checks and electronic payments.
- Ensure the insurance companies are paid in an accurate and timely manner.
- Coordinate with internal staff and carrier/broker insurance companies to reconcile and correct discrepancies.
- Review, analyze and address aged company payable balances.
- Assist or back up the insurance payables team and other department team members when needed.
- Assist with other duties and projects as assigned by the Production/Insurance Payables Manager
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computers and ability to utilize various software packages including, but not limited to: Excel, Word, Sagitta and other accounting systems.
- Ability to work with detail and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate well with persons at all levels of authority both verbally and in writing.
- Capable of exercising discretion in confidential matters and the use of independent judgment.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time and meet deadlines during peak periods.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new changes.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize standard accounting principles, as well as federal and state tax guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to utilize calculator to perform various mathematical functions.
- Ability to be available for work daily for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Ability to assist in other work-related duties, as necessary.
- Education: High School Diploma required; Accounting degree preferred.
- Experience: 2 years of accounting experience, preferably in an insurance agency environment.
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.