Accountant, Financial Reporting
Holmes Murphy is one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages. It is our mission to promote health, protect wealth, and deliver peace of mind to our clients. We pride ourselves on being a place where employees love what they do, and who they do it with! In fact, we live by our purpose statement of “Caring for your unique potential is our SOUL purpose!”
Offering a forward-thinking, innovative, and vibrant company culture, along with the opportunity to share your unique potential, there really is no place like Holmes! We truly believe every employee within our company contributes their own unique talents for the greater good, and we thrive on knowing our environment supports and cares for everyone’s individual strengths.
We are looking to add a Accountant, Financial Reporting to join our Accounting team in Waukee, IA. Candidates thrive in our environment when they harness their collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal communication skills, and a love of learning.
This role is responsible for assisting with the timely, accurate, and consistent preparation of financial statements and reports required by the company and its external auditors. This individual will be responsible for the preparation of general accounting entries and reconciliations and schedules, in support of the generation of monthly financial statements.
Work closely with Leaders and Business Partners to:
- Assist with the monthly consolidation process and preparation of monthly financial statements, including the balance sheet and income statement, for business leaders and the executive committee.
- Prepare and process journal entries for various activities throughout the business such as payroll benefits, bank transfers, prepaid expenses, and sales commission.
- Assist with the creation and tracking of monthly allocations and make adjustments, as needed.
- Prepare reconciliations and reports related to HMA Group Holdings, LLC’s cash and investment activities.
- Assist with the calculation of true-up commission statements for executives and producers semi-annually.
- Assist with the execution of stock and equity transactions, including completing relevant reconciliations and workpapers, throughout the year.
- Assist with documentation and compliance of accounting policies and internal controls.
- Assist with special projects and ad-hoc reports.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with detail, maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Capable of exercising discretion in confidential matters and the use of independent judgment.
- Knowledge of computers and ability to utilize various software packages including, but not limited to: Excel, Word, Sagitta and other accounting systems.
- Ability to communicate well with persons at all levels of authority both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize standard accounting practices.
- Ability to work effectively both independently as well as in a team environment to attain personal, team and company goals.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time and meet deadlines during peak periods.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new changes.
- Ability to be available for work daily for a minimum of 7.75 hours per day and for overtime as necessary to perform duties.
- Ability to assist in other work-related duties, as necessary.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; CPA certification preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 2 years of accounting experience, preferably in an insurance agency environment
Benefits: In addition to core benefits like health, dental and vision, also enjoy benefits such as:
- Paid Parental Leave and supportive New Parent Benefits — We know being a working parent is hard, and we want to support our employees in this journey!
- Company paid continuing Education & Tuition Reimbursement — We support those who want to develop and grow.
- 401k Profit Sharing — Each year, Holmes Murphy makes a lump sum contribution to every full-time employee’s 401k. This means, even if you’re not in a position to set money aside for the future at any point in time, Holmes Murphy will do it on your behalf! We are forward-thinking and want to be sure your future is cared for.
- Flexible work arrangements and schedules — We truly want to know what works for you as we look to support your unique and full potential.
- Generous time off practices in addition to paid holidays — Yes, we actually encourage employees to use their time off, and they do. After all, you can’t be at your best for our clients if you’re not at your best for yourself first.
- Supportive of community efforts with paid Volunteer time off and employee matching gifts to charities that are important to you — Through our Holmes Murphy Foundation, we offer several vehicles where you can make an impact and care for those around you.
- DE&I programs — Holmes Murphy is committed to celebrating every employee’s unique diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) experience with us. Not only do we offer all employees a paid Diversity Day time off option, but we also have a Chief Diversity Officer on hand, as well as a DE&I project team, committee, and interest group. You will have the opportunity to take part in those if you wish!
- Consistent merit increase and promotion opportunities — Annually, employees are reviewed for merit increases and promotion opportunities because we believe growth is important — not only with your financial wellbeing, but also your career wellbeing.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity — Yes, there is an annual opportunity to make more money. Who doesn’t love that?!
Holmes Murphy & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.