A Little R&R on the Horizon?
Getting ready to head out for your summer vacation or a quick getaway? Before you hit the road or skies, you may want to take a few steps to ensure when you get back, the only thing you’ll have to worry about is the amount of laundry to get done.
Here are a couple of quick checklists to get you started!
For your home:
- Make sure all electrical appliances are turned off.
- Clean the refrigerator of all perishable foods and take out the garbage.
- Lock all your home’s windows and doors.
- Arrange to have the newspaper and mail held until your return or have them picked up by a trusted neighbor.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed.
- Let a trusted neighbor know you will be away and have them keep an eye on your home.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Set timers on interior lights.
- Make sure to unplug televisions, computers, and appliances susceptible to lightning and power surges.
- Advise your alarm company and local police if you will be gone for an extended period.
- Store jewelry and valuable items in a safe-deposit box.
While you travel:
- Make copies of your ID and passport. Make two photocopies of your license or passport in case either is lost/stolen. Bring one copy and store it separately from the original and leave another with a friend or relative.
- Only carry the credit cards you plan to use on your trip and leave the rest at home. If you decide to bring more than one, consider stashing the rest in a hotel safe or other secure location while you’re out and about.
- Avoid oversharing online! I know…it’s tempting to post photos and real-time updates on social media sites, but this only advertises the fact you’re gone from home. Hold those posts until you’re home, if at all possible.
And last, but certainly not least, enjoy your time away!
Published on: 07.22.19